Irishman in hospital after Sydney assault

February 28, 2013 • Local, New South Wales, News,

Kieran Cahill, from Kerry, is recovering in hospital after suffering a shattered jaw.

Kieran Cahill, from Kerry, is recovering in hospital after suffering a shattered jaw.

A young man from Kerry is recovering in a Sydney hospital after he was allegedly assaulted.

Police say that Kieran Cahill, 25, from Killarney, was punched in the face a number of times, knocked unconscious and then had his head stomped on repeatedly in Sydney CBD early on Monday morning.

NSW Police Insp Seán Heaney said: “The victim is Irish. He is a 25-year-old male. He had head injuries which required him to be sedated for recovery.

“One has been charged. Police are continuing to conduct investigations to identify another person.”

Police say the young Irishman suffered a shattered jaw, and underwent an operation on Tuesday to have plates inserted.

Kiore Ronaki, 24, from Hoppers Crossing, in Melbourne, was on Tuesday charged with reckless grievous bodily harm in company before Local Court Magistrate Mabbutt and was refused bail.

The matter is listened for mention on March 11 before the Local Court.

Mr Cahill lives in Bondi and works as a yard manager for construction company Subakette.

Staff were shocked when they heard what had happened.

Subakette owner Michael Daly said: “He is with us just over a year and he is a gentleman. He is a really good worker, punctual and a very bright young man. He has a great work ethic and he is a valued employee. He manages a couple of the yards.

“If you were to pick one of the lads least likely to get into something it would be Kieran. You would be hard pressed to get a couple of words out of him. It’s a very poor situation,” he added.

Mr Cahill was allegedly attacked as he stood outside Emre’s Kebab and Pizza on Goulburn St, close to the popular Irish pub Scruffy Murphy’s.

Around 1.50am three men were at the front of a nightclub on Goulburn Street and police are alleging that they made inappropriate comments to a number of females.

It is believed that the Irishman intervened and was allegedly set upon by the men.

:: Police release CCTV still

Investigators would like to interview the person in this image. (Pic: NSW Police)

Police rushed to the scene and they arrested a 24-year-old man at World Square.

Police also arrested a 26-year-old man at the intersection of George and Liverpool Streets. He was released without charge but a third man is still wanted for questioning.

Police have released a photograph of the third man (left) and appealed for information.

“The person is described as an adult male of Pacific Islander appearance, and is depicted in the vision wearing a green shirt, shorts, and black shoes. Investigators would like to interview the person in the vision about the matter,” NSW police said, in a statement.

Police say anyone with information about this incident should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.




Related Posts

Comments are closed.

« »