Irishman arrested at Sydney airport over road crash

A 22-year-old Irishman is due to face court next month charged over a crash in Sydney’s east at the weekend in which two men were seriously injured.

Officers from the Metropolitan Crash Investigation Unit (CIU) arrested a 22-year-old man at Sydney Airport about 9pm on Monday, on board a flight to Dublin.

The plane was preparing for take-off before police requested it return to the boarding gate where the man was arrested.

Police allege the man, who is reported to be from Donegal, was the driver of a Mazda 323 which hit a van parked on Burke Street, Chifley, about 2am on Saturday.

The 22-year-old Irishman was taken off a plane to Dublin by NSW Police.

The 22-year-old Irishman was taken off a plane to Dublin by NSW Police.

The driver and a back-seat passenger left the the vehicle while the 25-year-old front passenger and a 27-year-old rear-seat passenger were trapped before being freed by emergency personnel.

The younger man was taken to St George Hospital where he remains in a critical but stable condition. The older man was taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital where he remains in a serious but stable condition.

The man was taken to Prince of Wales Hospital where he was treated and released into the custody of a CIU officer.

He was taken to Mascot Police Station where he was charged with:

  • Dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm – drive manner dangerous

  • Fail to stop and assist after vehicle impact causing grievous bodily harm

  • Cause bodily harm by misconduct, in charge of motor vehicle (two counts)

  • Fail to stop and assist after impact cause injury (two counts)

  • Negligent driving (occasions grievous bodily harm), and,

  • Not give particulars to owner of damaged property.

He was refused police bail before appearing in Central Local Court yesterday where he was granted conditional bail to appear in Downing Centre Local Court on Thursday August 15.

Inquiries continue to locate the fourth man.